Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Stardate: [-27] 08945.00 - Captain's Log

Thinking about all of the recent position changes, I'm tempted to request an extra CS meeting, this time in person - so that the crewmen in new positions can exchange whatever needs to be exchanged (and because I want to put a new bar to the test).

I probably won't do it, but I'm considering the wisdom of it, so that there isn't too much disturbance at the next meeting. I have high hopes for the new assignments, but that's slightly because I was wanting Guill to be my second since Firelace left spacedock. She's a good ship, deserving of a good second. My past two, while they tried, both had the shortcoming of never having been part of The Federation prior to their assignment (meaning no 'training') for the roles they were assigned to. Their assignments stemming from the lack of 'local' personnel ready and able to take the role, ready certainly. But now I have someone at my right hand that I feel would be able to fill the role admirably, and perhaps put other XO's to shame (or perhaps I just think too highly of Guill).

----Personal log----

I have reservations with the new Captain of the Nathan Hale. While he was XO for Adm. A.Hohensee for a time, it wasn't nearly long enough, I don't feel, before he was given the command of the ship. I know Adm. Hohensee tended to do a lot for his ship and fleet, and much if it may not have been necessary, I don't know as Cpt. Greene will be able to keep that momentum going. Time will tell, and I'm sure my reservations stem from a dislike of change.

----Geo West log----

I've been hearing some wave-making from a few of the members, largely because I believe they are dissatisfied with their current assignments. Ens D.Schroeder seldom has transportation to the meetings held by Cpt. B.Cook of the Rochambeau - and due to this wants to be more active, somehow. After several long conversations with him, and learning where his strengths and weakness may be, I think he'd be most helpful to the Member Coordinator for the entire fleet. I've made the initial contacts with people, and put them all in touch with each other, now all I can do is sit back and wait.
Another wave-maker is LTJG J.Hahn - while newly transferred to the Nathan Hale, he's already antsy and wanting to do more than his Cpt is ready for. So he's launched a 'ship' of his own through another fan-group (and a collection of his friends) which is not affiliated with the Federation. This is not against the membership-guidelines, so not an issue as far as I see. Though he is asking to make his ship a part of the Federation, which may be a problem. The proximity to the already established Nathan Hale may preclude his Renard from an official launch in the Federation. I'm unsure how to respond to this, so I've advised him to take it up with Pre. R. Haslage.
I also have reservations about LTJG J.Hahn being a captain of a ship, as I feel he is too erratic to be good in that role. He has lots of good ideas, but no apparent carry-through for those ideas. I worry that his ship will rather quickly be adrift without attitude control - with his many plans to be a mobile chapter and vary his meeting locations based on his whim (and hopefully the whims of his crew). There are so many uncertainies where he is concerned, and while I recognize some of them as things I first exhibited, they are stronger in him and it causes me some measure of hesitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stardate: 47634.44 - Captain's Personal Log (not so personal)

 Ran across a log that got me thinking... and wanting to clarify my response. I did not carry over the whole log and all replies because I w...